We post Groundswell events as well as events hosted by our partner farms, members, and collaborating organizations and businesses. If you would like to submit an event to add to our calendar, please click here. Please allow 2 business days for posting and note that Groundswell resolves the right to make final decisions on posting event calendar.
- This event has passed.
Developing your Farm or Food Business
February 21 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:00pm on Tuesday, repeating until February 21, 2017
This course covers:
- The local farm and food sector including unmet needs, opportunities and niche markets.
- Equity issues and justice in the food system including examples of realistic ways to approach these within the scope of your business model.
- Experience from farm and food entrepreneurs about business startup and lessons learned.
- Tools for business assessment, strategic planning, understanding liabilities and legalities.
- Setting business goals and taking stock of resources and progress to date.
- Accounting and financial planning concepts and tools
- Develop a marketing plan and marketing channels.
Instructors: Leslie Ackerman, independent Business Consultant formerly with the Alternatives Federal Credit Union Business Cents program; Matt LeRoux, Cooperative Extension Agriculture Marketing Specialist; Monika Roth, Cooperative Extension Agriculture Program Leader; Kate Cardona, Groundswell Center Outreach and Program Coordinator; regional farm and food business entrepreneurs, other visiting experts The course will be facilitated by Mary Kate Wheeler, Groundswell Center Board Member.
Location: All classes will be held at the Just BeCause Center located at 1013 West State St. in Ithaca starting at 6 PM until 9 PM.
Fee: $150. Tuition assistance available; see contact info. below.