Developing your Farm or Food Business
Tuesdays, January 24th, 31st, February 7th, 14th, 21st, 6:00-9:00 PM
Ithaca, NY 14850
This 5-session course is specifically for people in the early stages of developing a farm or food business. Whether you are just launching your business or have been operating a few years and want to become more strategic in how you move forward, expand and increase viability.
This course covers:
- The local farm and food sector including unmet needs, opportunities and niche markets.
- Equity issues and justice in the food system including examples of realistic ways to approach these within the scope of your business model.
- Experience from farm and food entrepreneurs about business startup and lessons learned.
- Tools for business assessment, strategic planning, understanding liabilities and legalities.
- Setting business goals and taking stock of resources and progress to date.
- Accounting and financial planning concepts and tools
- Develop a marketing plan and marketing channels.
Instructors: Leslie Ackerman, independent Business Consultant formerly with the CFCU Business Cents program; Matt LeRoux, Cooperative Extension Agriculture Marketing Specialist; Monika Roth, Cooperative Extension Agriculture Program Leader; Kate Cardona, Groundswell Center Outreach and Program Coordinator; regional farm and food business entrepreneurs, other visiting experts The course will be facilitated by Mary Kate Wheeler, Groundswell Center Board Member.
Location: All classes will be held at the Just BeCause Center located at 1013 West State St. in Ithaca starting at 6 PM until 9 PM.
Fee: $150. Tuition assistance available; see contact info. below.
STEP 1: Register online or come by the Groundswell Center office, 225 S Fulton Street, Ithaca.
STEP 2: Pay Tuition here or mail a check to our office, made out to CTA – Groundswell. Note: If tuition assistance is needed, contact the email below and do not make a payment at this time.